Friday, August 2, 2013

Cupid's Arrow: Dream Cast!

Happy Friday, everyone! Sara Raasch here. For today's Cupid's Arrow, I'm professing my LOVE for all of the YA book-to-movie buzz constantly spinning around the blogosphere by doing a...

...SNOW LIKE ASHES fancast!!

While I don't usually picture actors/actresses while writing, there have been a few I've stumbled across that make me squeal and go "YOU. IT'S YOU." So today, for your viewing pleasure, I present my totally illogical and fantasized casting for my main character, Meira; her father-figure/general, Sir; and the future King of Winter, Mather.

Firstly: Meira! Now, no actors have the white Winterian hair that all three of these characters possess (well, with the exception of pics of Emilia Clarke as Daenerys, but something feels wrong about using another story's character), so you'll have to squint a little and imagine them with ivory hair, bright blue eyes, and pale skin, the signature traits of all Winterians.

My fancasting for Meira is twofold -- I adore two actresses equally, and could easily see either of them being the feisty, stubborn, chakram-wielding soldier who dreams of seeing Winter whole again.

The first, Sarah Bolger.



The second, Brittany Snow (and no, her last name had no influence on my selection of her. Okay, fine, it had a WEE BIT of influence).



Nextly: Sir! The man who keeps the Winterian refugees alive and organized and also infuriates Meira on a near-daily basis. There is one actor who is utterly perfect for this quietly strong, brooding general, and every time I see him I make incoherent noises -- both because he IS Sir and also because I have a tiny crush on him. Well, not exactly a tiny crush...I call him my Celebrity Husband: Mads Mikkelsen!

(PS: My inner hipster forces me to note that I loved him BEFORE he got all famous with Hannibal.)



And lastly but certainly not least: Mather, a soft-spoken warrior who is also the future King of Winter and Meira's childhood friend. I've yet to find the PERFECT actor for Mather, but a few are really close, such as Gregory Smith.



And Sterling Knight.



Fancasting is one of those time-sucks that every author hopes maybe, someday, will come in useful. But regardless of how much of a time-suck it is, it is quite fun! Tell me what you think of my choices in the comments below!

5 comments:

  1. I loooooove these kind of posts. LOVE THEM. An excuse to look at cute boys and fantasize about what dress to wear to the Oscars that you win because you picked all the cutest actors to play the parts.

    Of course, I can rarely remember actors' names and I'd be like, "I thinking of that guy. You know? That guy that was in that thing?" That's how my casting would go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fancasting. LOVE it! I don't do it very often, but it seems like it would be a great way to keep your descriptions accurate and to get the feel of your characters. Plus, you know, it gives you a handy blog post with lots of pictures of pretty people. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, I love doing this for my books. And it is definitely a HUGE time suck, because you keep looking and looking trying to find that one perfect fit, which typically doesn't happen. I agree, Mikkelsen is pretty hot and broody :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. FANCASTING.:) Oh my land, Sara, this is AWESOME!. Love your picks, love your style. LOVE YOU, and I can not WAIT for SNOW LIKE ASHES to hit the shelves so everyone can squee! :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, great picks! I love Sarah Bolger :) I can't wait to get my hands on SNOW LIKE ASHES.

    ReplyDelete